– RULES RELATIVE TO RANK CERTIFICATION–
1. The rules set out in this document (“the Rules”) aim at establishing basic principles
and prevent inappropriate practices regarding the issuance and recognition of ranks
(whether at KYU or DAN) level in the KUDO International Federation.
(ISSUANCE OF RANK)
2. KUDO being the martial art created by Takashi AZUMA, Grandmaster of the DAIDO
JUKU organization, ranks in KUDO shall be issued by DAIDO JUKU. Only members of
DAIDO JUKU shall be eligible to hold ranks in KUDO.
(LOSS OF RANK)
3. Should a rank holder’s membership to DAIDO JUKU cease or be terminated for
whatever reason, he/she shall automatically lose his/her rank as well.
(CAPACITY TO ISSUE RANKS)
4. Branch Chiefs or representatives with the rank of 1st dan and above are empowered to
issue ranks up to 3 degrees below their own rank. The DAIDO JUKU headquarters
reserves a right of review of such issuance and shall issue rank certificates accordingly
e.g. in order to examine and all a 1st dan holder to be promoted to 2nd dan, the
examiner must hold at least a 5th dan
(PROMOTION EXAMINATION FOR HIGH RANKS)
5. Promotions to the rank of 5th dan and above (SHIHAN) can be obtained only through
successful promotion examination held at the General Headquarters of DAIDO JUKU.
(PROMOTION EXAMINATION RULES)
6. The rules pertaining to holding promotion examination are defined in separate
documents: “guide to KYU/DAN promotion examinations” and “KYU/DAN promotion
(RECOGNITION OF RANKS HELD IN OTHER MARTIAL ARTS)
7. The rules pertaining to the recognition of ranks earned in martial arts other than KUDO
are defined in a separate document: “System of recognition of ranks held in other
martial arts / combat sports”.
(CHANGES TO THE RULES)
8. Changes to the Rules shall be subject to a resolution by the General Assembly of KIF.
9. The detailed rules and practices necessary to the enforcement of the Rules shall be
determined separately by the President of the Board of Directors, following a resolution
by the Board.